There are numerous organizational and financial difficulties in the management of historic and monumental sites, often not adequately evaluated.
The IDEHA - Innovation for Data Elaboration in Heritage Areas - research project was born precisely for this: an open and highly technological IT platform, able to support the maintenance processes of Italian cultural sites, providing interesting content for tourism and reducing management costs.
The platform integrates digital content from different sources - including information generated by users on social networks - aggregates and processes them using AI to create personalized services for different users (technicians, researchers, tourists, etc.).
Among the technologies adopted:
- Digital Platforms: open platforms in the cloud, equipped with AR/VR, IoT, AI technologies.
- AR-VR: for the virtual visualization of cultural sites (Engineering's focus on the project).
- IoT: to collect data in real-time via open-source platforms (e.g. FIWARE, Orion Context Broker).
- AI for Intelligent Apps: Computer Vision to understand the context and automatically provide the user with the necessary information.
- Vision Intelligence and Machine Learning: automatically recognize objects, environments, scenarios and create descriptions.
- Conversation frames to make information-finding easier through voice, text, video, sound, behaviour.
Impacts & Results
This system will promote the sustainable enhancement of the national cultural heritage through the use of innovative technological tools that will allow:
- providing integrated ICT systems to make the management, protection, restoration and conservation of cultural heritage sustainable;
- integrating the cultural offer with multi-channel front-end applications and services also through mobile devices capable of generating added value for tourism, enhancement, and development of the national territory, focusing on the southern regions.